Marlene Newman, mother of four, grandmother of two, shared her knowledge of reading, writing and library skills with her students and fellow teachers as an elementary school teacher in the state of New York for nineteen years. She has always found words and language fascinating.
Marlene lives in Delmar, New York. She enjoys spending time in her sunroom reading, doing crossword puzzles and watching the many visitors at her backyard birdfeeders. Myron's Magic Cow is her first book.
• I am available to read and discuss my book Myron's Magic Cow. This would be one day, several sessions.
• When reading to several classes at a time, it is best if the school library or a classroom with sufficient space is made available so children may sit comfortably on the floor.
• I am also available for a Writer in Residence program. This can be for several days as needed. I use the reading as a springboard for a writing program that would enable students translate their own experiences into stories, plays, poetry, and/or developing skills in writing reports.
• It can be tailored to the needs of the age of the students and the needs of the curriculum. We would work on settings, plots, themes, characterizations.
• In non-fiction, the focus would be on selecting a topic, developing questions, writing an outline, doing and organizing research. The program will include self and peer editing opportunities.
• I live in Albany, the Capital region of New York State and can travel. My fee is $300 per day plus expenses for travel and accommodations (if applicable.)
Tel. # (518) 439-2688